As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear OT//New way to transition between tracks like Ableton [VID] (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: OT//New way to transition between tracks like Ableton [VID]
Chain Chomp
Interesting Rhythmic Devices That Seem To Counterpoint The Surrealism Of The Underlying Metaphor. DA RIP
Re:OT // New way to transition between tracks! (Like Ableton) 11 Years, 1 Month ago
If you assign one shot trigs using Biologiks method it works a treat!
Simply have Rec light on, then choose a track, hit Enter & that one is replaced whilst the others continue to loop - very cool!!!

The topic has been locked.
King Koopa
Re:OT // New way to transition between tracks! (Like Ableton) 11 Years, 1 Month ago
good tip. I hope they add more options to change how free playing tracks work on pattern change -- start free playing track on pattern switch, or even keep track's last pattern until new one is trigged, etc. I think that would also go a long way to help solve the delay/reverb tail cutting problem...
Game & Watch
this all sounds very bizarre, awesome, practical, super cool and next level.

i guess at the moment i am kind of leaning towards just sampling the OT to the MD and then playing that back through the OT while simply muting the OT tracks and previewing them, when changing patterns to a potentially unknown patter sound ....

but then again, it would be nice to just rock up to gigs with the Octatrack, plug in and play. One device, one performance. At least, to have that option, a super minimal setup time with a rich, vast diverse array of musical rhythms and harmonic plays available.

this new biologik technique sounds promising and would be awesome for one-machine performances.
Goomba
biologik wrote:
That way works but it requires structure.

Thats true. If you are more chaotic in your sets /structure this is awesome!
I will be experimenting with it tonight and this weekend, i like to collab on this as much as possible.

I kinda feel some people are unaware of the more complex ways to make transitions and are to much used to the old school part-per-pattern-ish workflow. Aka make a pattern, save, copy and paste, change it, save, copy and paste, etc etc.

Now it will be very easy with the octatrack to make songs without worrying about how to integrate them in your live-performances.

Great find.
Chain Chomp
VIDEO! 11 Years, 1 Month ago
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMhA8a6SiMU&feature=youtu.be

The crossfader transition was great, but I found that I messed up once in a while. It's pretty disastrous when you do that in a live setting. It also ate up one of my tracks.This new transition method lets you seamlessly transition between tracks by bringing in one part at a time without the need of the crossfader or internal sampling. It also frees up a track!

One catch: it only works for loops. Not that big of a deal though, you can sample your tracks into a loop on the fly. Still easier than the crossfader transition and the results are much better IMHO. Also, the tails don't get cut off when you bring in something new!

Here's how I have it setup:
-Tracks are in Play Free mode with trig mode being ONE2. This lets you start and stop tracks as per the quantization of your specification. Mine is set to per pattern length. You can set it to whatever you want.
-All loops must have release set to INFINITE (although this only really matters for Part Four)
-Part One: Loop mode is set to AUTO.
-Part Four (or whatever part you want): Loop mode is set to ON

You need Part One because it lets you turn tracks on and off. If you only use Part Four it won't let you turn the track off because it'll loop forever. When it comes time to transition, switch to Part Four and change banks and/or patterns. Now you can bring in new parts one at a time while still being able to modify the previous tracks's parameters.

Have fun!

(NOTE: Sorry about the quality - I realize you can't hear the bass or some of the low-end tweaks I did. You get the idea anyways!)
Chain Chomp
Re:OT//New way to transition between tracks like Ableton [VID] 11 Years, 1 Month ago
Oh, I just thought I'd add: If you have a long vocal or other loop and switch patterns it then plays it through. This has been an unbelievably amazing side effect of this process. It's SO useful!
Chain Chomp
MD uw
Octatrack
Monomachine mkII +Drive
Re:OT//New way to transition between tracks like Ableton [VID] 11 Years, 1 Month ago
Great Biologik!
And once again....PlaysFree rulez!
King Koopa
Octatrack
Nord Micro Modular
Shruthi-1
TX81Z
MPC1000
Oh my GAWD, I've been sleeping hard on Plays Free. Cheers!!
Cappy
Gear:

Octatrack
Waldorf Blofeld
This is pretty fucking awesome. This basically makes the OT indistinguishable from Ableton for live performance.

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar. Thanks for sharing this great find!
Game & Watch
Pretty sure this one will make the history books. People will be talking about the "Biologik trick" for a long time. Kudos!
Go to top Post Reply